Culture Vultures – A Quiz
Art, Ballet, Classical Music
1. Where would you go to see Michelangelo the Pietà ?
2. The works of Bach, Beethoven, and Brahms belong to what musical genre?
3. What Dadaist artist submitted an actual urinal, titled Fountain, to an art exhibit in 1917?
4. In what city is the Museo del Prado located?
5. What author of Dover Beach wrote that having culture means to “know the best that has been said and thought in the world”?
6. The Thinker is one of the most recognized sculptures in the world. Who was the sculptor?
7. What French artist is well known for his paintings of ballet dancers?
8. “Jaunty John joked about the jolly jack-o’-lantern.” Is that an example of assonance, alliteration, or onomatopoeia?
9. Who wrote The Rape of Lucrece?
10. Jacques Derrida founded (and coined the term for) what process in literary criticism and philosophy?
11. The Temple of Athena on the Acropolis of Athens is better known by what name?
12. Grand jeté is a part of what art form?
1. St. Peter’s Basilica (Vatican City)
2. Classical music
3. Marcel Duchamp
5. Matthew Arnold
6. Auguste Rodin
7. Edgar Degas
9. William Shakespeare
11. The Parthenon
12. Classical ballet